I'm 10 Days Post Op, How Soon Could I Start to Wear Scar Away on my Scar? Have Had Nonthing on the S

scar since bandage came off day 6. Been rubbing aquaphor on the scar...no binders so its not covered. my dr. does not believe in binders, And when should i start to massage the scar?

After the steristrips have fallen off

+1
The scar can be treated with scar reduction products once the steristrips have fallen off and it's no longer crusty or scabby. As for massage, you may have to wait a little longer. However, you should ask your surgeon for their advice.

When to start using scar reducing ointments on scars?

+1

I tell my patients to use paper tape for the first six weeks during the scars initial healing phase (when new collagen is being produced in the wound). The tape is placed along the entire length of the wound and changed every other day before showering. This has been shown to be more effective in scar reduction during the first six weeks than any other form of treatment. We think this may be due to the pressure placed on the wound by the tape and maintaining moisture on the wound.

After six weeks, stop taping and begin using any type of scar reducer that contains Vitamin E, C and some Silicone.  Any combination of these ingredients is fine. Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug Scar

+1

Thanks for your question.  Scar therapy is often more of an art than a science.  What I mean by this is that part of the final scar appearance is due to the surgery and part is due to how you heal.  Even with a perfect surgery you still might have unacceptable healing and a final result that is less than acceptable.  This might happen despite everything that is done in the way of massage and topical medications.  There is no perfect way to manage scars.  Each should be treated case by case depending on how the patient is healing.  You need to consult with your surgeon and let them examine the scar to give you adequate advice.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon