10 Days Post Op Mommy Makeover. Lower Abdomen Swelling? (photo)

I had a extended tummy tuck with breast lift/augmentation and lipo on my flanks. Overall I am thrilled with the results especially since the 'before' was so bad. My lower abdomen though is concerning me. I look 3 months pregnant. I expect swelling, but it seems so centered right at my lower abdomen. It is a little better in the morning (as I would expect with swelling) but never goes away. My Dr. does not place drains, so I'm trying not to get upset, but does this look like normal swelling?

10 Days Post Abdominoplasty - Do I Have A Seroma Or Is This Swelling Normal?

+2

As I read your question, you are asking, do you have a seroma, a hematoma, or is this swelling normal?  The answer to this question requires an in person physical exam, and possibly even placing a needle or better, a seromacath, to test if there is any fluid present in your lower abdominal area.  This question needs to be posed to your plastic surgeon.  

All that being said, it sure looks like a seroma to me, and if you were my patient, I would place a seromacath for a day or two to get rid of the problem quickly before it becomes chronic.  If I were you, I would contact my plastic surgeon sooner rather than later. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Swelling vs. Fluid after Tummy Tuck

+2

Your doctor may have used  "progressive tension" sutures which help close down the space where fluid accumulates, minimizing the need for drains.

It is possible that you may a small collection of blood or lympatic fluid.   I would recommend evaluation by your plastic surgeon to ensure this is not the case.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Mommy Makeover and Post Operative Swelling

+2

It is not unusual to have lower abdominal swelling 10 days after a mommy makeover with a tummy tuck.  However, you may have developed a collection of fluid or blood (seroma or hematoma).  Check with your surgeon to see if they would suggest draining off the fluid if it is present.  But don't worry, even if you need to have the fluid drained it is a relatively easy procedure.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

10 Days Post Op Mommy Makeover. Lower Abdomen Swelling?

+1
I am so happy that you are thrilled with your results.  There is no problem checking in with your surgeon to get evaluated for a possible fluid collection such as a hematoma or seroma.  If there are clinical signs that it is present then it can be treated in a rather straight forward manner.  Best wishes.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeovers Require Close Follow-up With Your Plastic Surgeon For Optimal Results

+1

Swelling can be very normal 10 days following a tummy-tuck, especially if accompanied by liposuction. Compression is helpful. Close follow-up with physical examination with your Plastic Surgeon is essential to make sure that it is nothing more serious such as a seroma or hematoma. Best of luck. Dr. Lyos

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Swelling after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast  and abdominoplasty surgery. Based on your concerns and picture, you will be much better served by following up with your plastic surgeon for direct examination, diagnosis, and treatment recommendations. Ant fluid accumulation can easily be diagnosed and treated.

Lower abdomen swelling 10 days post-op abdominoplasty

+1

It is very difficult to tell from the photo alone. Swelling at 10 days after a procedure such as tummy tuck can be normal. However, without an actual evaluation such a call is not possible. It would be highly recommended to see your surgeon if you have not done so already. If it is a fluid collection, it can be drained safely in the office. The sooner the fluid is drained, if there is fluid, the better the chance of a favorable outcome.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Swelling After Mommy Makeover

+1

At only 10 days it is impossible to predict the final results of your surgery. The swelling and bruising that you are experiencing are normal reactions to surgery. Be patient and do not worry; it will take at least 6 weeks before the majority of the swelling subsides and you can accurately gauge your results. Not all doctors use drains so do not worry about that. If you have any concerns be sure to follow up with your doctor.

Jaime Perez, MD
Mommy Makeover Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Swelling 10 Days after Tummy Tuck

+1

You cannot really tell from the photo. A seroma needs to be found on examination. Sometimes you can feel a fluid wave, like a water bed, but not always. The other cause of swelling could simply be general swelling after surgery. Check in with your surgeon. If there is a seroma, the earlier it is treated the more successful it will be.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Hello

+1

At 10 days it is very normal to have swelling. It takes body 6-12 month for all swelling to subside. You need to give your body time to heal. Make sure you are using your compression garment to help with the swelling.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS