10 Days Post Op After Breast Reduction and I Have No Sensation in One Nipple

I know it is rare but possible to loose nipple sensation after breast reduction without free nipple graft but I still feel numb on one side. Is this something that occurs often after surgery?? How long does it take for the numbness to subside? Does this mean I am increased risk for nipple necrosis? Thanks

Nipple sensation

+1
Following breast reduction is common for a minority of patients to have some decreased nipple sensation.  Hopefully the sensation will return as the swelling subsides.

Breast Reduction and Loss of Sensation?

+1

Although numbness of the nipple/areola is a known complication of most types of breast surgery,  often the numbness is temporary.  Numbness of the nipple/areola does not necessarily mean you are at increased risk for nipple necrosis.

It may take several months or up to one year before sensation returns (if it does).

Decreased sensation following a breast reduction

+1

Numbness or a significant decrease of sensation of one or both sides is common after a breast reduction. It can take several weeks to more than a years for the maximal amount of sensation to return.

Nipple necrosis is a blood supply issue and not related directly to sensation ones. If you haven't had any problems by now (which it appears that you haven't), there is no need to worry.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Numbness in one nipple after breast reduction

+1

I always tell my patients that even though they had one procedure, they actually had TWO surgeries: a Right breast reduction and a Left breast reduction. You have to treat each breast independently as it heals. Each side can have variation with sensation, healing rate, etc. 

Nipple sensation changes are not uncommon after breast reduction and most resolve spontaneously, although it can take up to 6 months for full recovery!

Nipple necrosis will usually present itself within 48 hours or less and is extremely rare to be a delayed presentation. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and numbness

+1

Numbness in the early post-op period after a breast reduction is fairly normal. Most patients have return of sensation within 6-8 weeks.

Nipple sensation post reduction

+1

No the loss of nipple sensation at 10 days may be temporary.Sometimes it can take months to come back.You also are not at an increased risk of nipple necrosis.Usually this will be evident right away after surgery.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Some persistent numbness after breast reduction

+1

This does not necessarily mean you are at increased risk for nipple necrosis and this is highly unlikely givent that you are 10 days out. Mild interruptions in nerve sensation are not at all uncommon for the first 3 weeks and even longer. Give it some time for resolution of swelling.