10 Days out from Surgery and Nipples Still Pointing Down and Breasts Look Slightly Square. Is This Normal?

I am 10 days postop and concerned about the squareness of my breasts. My nipples still seem to point somewhat downward as well. I trust my surgeon and saw about 100 of his before/after photos all of which looked great. I'm trying to be patient, but would like to know if this is normal. My implants are 300cc silicone placed under the muscle. Thanks!

Why Do My Nipples Have A Slightly Downward Tilt 10 Days After Submuscular Silicone Breast Augmentation?

+1

Dear Stacey, In the early post operative period after a submuscular silicone breast augmentation, the pectoralis muscle and the tight skin both push on the inferior aspect of the implant, forcing the silicone up towards the top of the implant.  This displacement of the silicone in the implant plus swelling in the upper portion of your breast gives a temporary downward tilt to the nipple.  As the swelling in the upper portion of your breast subsides, and as the pectoralis muscle relaxes, the internal silicone portion of your breast implant will settle downward and your nipples will rise (there is an inverse relationship between the fullness at the top of your breast and the tilt of your nipple.

All that doctor mumbo jumbo being said, YES, your nipples turning down at this point is completely normal.  Time, gravity, perhaps a little pressure from an ace wrap, and all will be well.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

10 days post-op appearance doesn't look anything like your surgeon's before and after photos!

+1

Stacey, I'll bet you didn't look at one "during-recovery"photograph in the "100's of great before/afters" at your surgeon's office! That is true in my office as well--patients would be "shocked and appalled" in some cases, and at least mildly surprised in others, but would be pretty uniformly amazed at how remarkably things change over time during the healing process.

You too will soften, settle, and drop over time as your implant position moves down behind your breast tissue, and your firm and swollen incision areas stretch and round out. This will certainly occur (it does so in every patient, just at different rates), and your surgeon may have taught you implant movement exercises to aid in this process. He or she may also have you wearing an elastic bandeau for part of your day or night, and going braless for the remainder, all to help the tissues soften and round out as your implants drop behind the breast tissue into their final position.

This whole process takes time, and you should not be concerned at this point in your recovery. If you checked with your surgeon, you would discover that all of those great results photos were taken at different times corresponding to different rates of this natural process occurring! This will be you too. Fear not, and follow your surgeon's advice. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Timing of final results post op

+1

Be assured that you are very early in your recovery and your final result takes months to realize.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon on your post op visit. Your immediate post op appearance should not diminish your confidence in your surgeon' s performance

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Post-op breast augmentation

+1

At ten days it is too early to see the final result from a breast augmentation procedure.  Give it a few months to settle.

Brreast implants may take three months to settle in

+1

Depending on the size of the implant and the skin envelope a breast implant may take three months for the skin to relax and allow the implant to settle into place. We have patients stay in a band over the top of the breast for two weeks day and night, and sometimes longer. At ten days it is just too soon to tell.

Postoperative Changes 10 days from surgery

+1

It is very early in the recovery process at 10 days. You will continue to see changes that occur over the next 6 months. If you trust your surgeon, then patience is the proper course and you will likely see much of what you are concerned about resolve with time.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Results 10 day after surgery are too early to be judged

+1

10 days after surgery your body is still going through changes.  In general I tell my patients to wait about 3 months to see the final shape and position of their breasts.  At this stage the shape is distorted with swelling and the implants are still going to descend more.  Be patient.

Martin Jugenburg, MD