10 Day Post Op Breast Lift/small Reduction?

When is it completely safe to smoke again? ( not chain smoking) but just a few a month. Also today my incision scar seemed to bleed in one spot - but there is also a hard lump there. I am rather worried about this. Should I get this checked out? Thanks!

Smoking after Breast Lift

+1

It is absolutely essential that smoking does not occur within 6 weeks following breast lift.  A smoker's healing is already compromised, and it may take longer to heal.  The best thing to do is quit after the surgery.

When is it safe to smoke again after a breast lift/reduction?

+1

You should wait about 6 weeks after your surgery to start smoking again (if you are planning to continue smoking, that is).  Prior to this time, the effect of nicotine on the blood supply to your skin and your nipples may lead to skin/nipple loss, delayed healing, worse scars, etc.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Smoking In The Post Operative Period

+1

Thank you for the question. The problem with smoking is that it will diminish the blood supply to the surgical area. This can manifest as wound healing problems, wound infections or even tissue loss. These problems may require more surgery and may permanently alter your final results. If you feel compelled to begin smoking in the post operative period I would to wait till 4 to 6 weeks. The longer you can refrain from smoking the better for your recovery and results.

You should follow up with your plastic surgeon so that he may examine the lump and area of bleeding in your incision. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Don't resume smoking this close to surgery completion.

+1

10 days after surgery, your tissues are still in the early phases of healing and the scars are still gaining strength.  Smoking now (even a small amount ) can rob your tissues of the needed blood supply to heal properly.  So you should not resume smoking until at least 4 weeks after surgery or you risk increased complications.  You should follow up with your plastic surgeon and have the small lump and area of bleeding along the stitch line checked out.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Cosmetic surgery and smoking

+1

Smoking is never safe!  Smoking decreases the blood supply in the skin due to a process called vasoconstriction.  It can be very detrimental to the healing process especially after a surgery such as a breast lift where the blood supply to the skin is now more limited than preoperatively.  If you do return to smoking, which I highly suggest that you don't, you should wait a minimum of 4 weeks after surgery.  Also, please have the hard lump area checked out by your surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Smoking and breast lift

+1

You should avoid smoking for at least 3-4 weeks after surgery so that the tissues can heal. It really is best to avoid smoking completely.

Smoking after Breast Lift?

+1

Sorry to preach but smoking is never “safe”. With concerns such as “hard lump” you should follow-up with your plastic surgeon for direct examination.

When is it completely safe to smoke again--don't even think about smoking

+1

Well it is never completely safe to smoke. 

As far as the risks to your surgery, I would say 6 weeks. The lift itself decreases the blood supply to the lifted breast skin by dividing many small blood vessels that nourish the skin. Nicotine adds a further insult by narrowing the remaining blood vessels and further decreasing the blood flow to the point that some patients suffer skin loss or severe would healing problems any of which may result in more surgery needed!

Thanks and best wishes. Protect your result!!