I Am 5' 10'', 175 Lbs, and a 32 DDD. Is It Resonable to Get a Reduction Down to a B Cup?

Breast Reduction to Much Smaller Size?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we performed. It will likely be in your best interest to reach a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with the surgery.

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

It is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.   Sometimes  when patients want “almost nothing left”  the reduction should be done in 2 stages.  The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  Doing the procedure in more than one stage allows the tissues to  acclimate to the surgically decreased blood flow before  further tissue removal (and potentially further decreased blood flow)  occurs ( with the 2nd stage operation).

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

It will behoove you to seek consultation in person with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Reduction final size

+1

When a woman with very larger breasts wants a reduction, I find it very difficult to get her down to a "b" type cup for several reasons. 1) the tissue carried on the pedicle to keep the nipple alive must be of a certain size and thickness, and the skin flaps as well have to be relatively thick to survive.  2) for the breast to have a reasonable shape and attaractiveness to match the patient's body habitus it should be size appropriate usually "C" or even a "D".

Possibility of reducing breasts from DDD to B

+1

This is a fairly aggressive reduction and the decision to proceed depends on the risks you are willing to take. As more and more breast tissue is resected, there is a greater risk to compromising the blood and nerve supply to the nipple. It is truly difficult to quantify this risk in your instance.

Breast reduction has high rate of satisfaction

+1

Breast reduction is to help relieve symptoms of heavy breasts, period.  Certainly it has the added benefit of improving shape and form also.  If you have the typical stigmata of back, neck, shoulder pain, shoulder grooving, and or chaffing under the breasts, certainly a reduction is for you.  To be covered by insurance, different insurance companies have various qualifying requirements.  The vast majority of my patients after surgery wish they had done it sooner.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Breast size following breast reduction

+1

The goal of breast reduction is to give you a more balanced shape. This procedure may relieve physical symptoms of back, neck, shoulder and breast pain. Based on your height, weight and band size, a B cup may be too small. A C cup may be a better option for you. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best regards, Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

+1

Without posting a photo we can give a generalized answer of the B cup would be TOOO small. Think in the total body appearance, which from your description should be a full C cup or a very small D. Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

B cup is not in your future

+1

At 5'10 175lbs, your chest wall is proibably too wide to vere be a B cup.  Most patients wind up as D's or full C's.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast reduction from a DDD to a B--possible?

+1

It may be possible to get you down to a B cup with a breast reduction, but be very clear with your surgeon about your goals.  She should be able to evaluate your breasts and tell you whether it's possible for YOU.  A B cup is quite small, though not unreasonable for many women. 

Carmen Kavali, MD