$10,000 for Liposuction of Lower Abdomen and Flanks, Does this Seem Right?

I am 5'8", 140-145 pounds and in my mid 20's. I am very active & eat healthily however I have a lower tummy bump/love handles I can't get rid of. I had a consultation with a doctor I really liked, however they quoted me $9850. I was under the impression since I was in good shape and the fat was localized that it would not be this expensive. However I did really like the doctor. Any advice would be appreciated!

Is $10,000 Too Much For Liposuction?

+1

Dear Nattasha0991,   The old adage "you get what you pay for" is true in plastic surgery as well as other things in life. Each surgeon has the right to set his/her fees as they see fit and what the market will bear. That being said, $10,000 for the areas you mentioned seem a bit high no matter what part of the country you are in. I would try to negotiate a better price with your surgeon and if if they are unwilling, then let the free market forces take over and take your business elsewhere.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction pricing

+1
Every surgeon has the right to charge a fee of his choosing. However, that is a high price of liposuction in New York City. Of course, you should see a board certified plastic surgeon but I'd encourage you to get another opinion for purposes of comparison. Also, ask the doctor you liked to clarify the basis for the fee and whether it could be reduced if you filled an empty slot on his schedule.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Too expensive

+1

Laser-assisted liposuction under local anesthetic (ie, no IV sedation or general anesthesia) should run you around $5,000 for the abdomen and $2,000 for the flanks.

Jay Zimmerman, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

$10,000 for liposuction may be appropriate for quality work.

+1

In liposuction, you get what you pay for! The tumescent technique under local anesthesia with the micro canulas tends to be the most expensive for good reason since you get the best results and can sculpt the areas beautifully and safely. Ask if they have any specials going on since we offer 30% off if done within 30 days and our normal fees run roughly 8,000 for the full abdomen and flanks which drops to $5400 with the special going on. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Certainly seems excessive

+1

Sounds like you are a good a candidate for liposuction.  Fees of course vary greatly by region of the country and physician practice.  Also a more limited procedure (one body area as you describe, basically your abdomen/flank) should be less than if multiple additional areas are addressed such as the thighs or arms.

Feeling comfortable with the doctor is very important and price only should not be a determinant, but it would be a good idea to get another opinion or two in the same geographical area to compare.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon