1 Year Rhinoplasty Post-OP, Dermatology and Health Limitations?

I had a mix of goretex and bone grafts from the ear implanted in my nose (Asian Rhinoplasty) and was wondering what are my limitations a year later? More specifically if there was anything I can't do? Is it safe to pursue dermatology treatments such as IPLs, chemical peels and such to improve my complexion? Will chemical peels help or aggravate the scar on my septum from the open rhinoplasty? What about medical check ups like x-rays, CAT scans, can they affect my nose job?

Restrictions 1 year after Rhinoplasty

+1

There are absolutely no restrictions 1 year after an open rhinoplasty.  Obviously, any treatments that you seek out should be performed by qualified individuals.  However, the fact that you had a rhinoplasty 1 year ago should not influence these procedure. 

The nose continues to heal for a full 18 months after surgery, though the amount of healing remaining at this point is minimal.  I would expect the scar at the base of your nose to benefit from a chemical peel, so that's a win-win!

Gore-Tex is a relatively safe synthetic implant when used in the nose to augment the nasal bridge.  In studies, we have shown the complication rate to be less than 5% over 10 years.  Furthermore, the complications tend to take place in the first year, so you should be out of the danger zone.  I hope you find this useful.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

One year Post Rhinoplasty fine to resume medical check ups.

+1

Dear Magnoliafire, I would speak with your surgeon for a full clearance on all of the questions you have asked above. A consultation with a qualified dermatologist or Facial Plastic Surgeon can review your options of IPl's, peels, etc. Typically one year post rhinoplasty there should not be any visible scar from your incision so discuss this with your original treating surgeon. Asian skin in general should be treated carefully with peels and lasers to avoid any pigmentation problems. Medical check ups are fine and CAT scans, x-rays etc will not effect your results. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD