1-week Post-op Rhino Nose Looks Wider and More Shapeless Than Before. Is This Gross Swelling?

I am one week post-op. My nose looks quite wide and shapeless, almost neanderthal looking. I feel like it looks worse than before! I know logically that it should eventually look more refined as I had an alar reduction and lots of work on my crooked tip (now straight, just wide!) including grafts. I feel very self-conscious about it. How long until this gross swelling subsides as I still feel like I have a "punched in the face" look. I know it takes weeks, months to see the final results however

Swelling is normal at 1 week postop should be presentable at 2 weeks

+1

Usually it takes about 2 weeks to look very acceptable and you should never look worse than before surgery after the splint is taken off . However, It will take weeks and even months to get the final results. You are only one week after the surgery. The swelling is definitely present and your splint just got removed.  I hope you are keeping your fallow up appointments. Do not be afraid to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

One Week Post Rhinoplasty

+1

You are experiencing normal temporary swelling on week after an extensive rhinoplasty with placement of grafts and alar reduction. You will see significant improvement during the next 2 weeks, but it will take several months for you to be able to judge your result. Share your concerns with your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty one week post-op

+1

Usually at one week post rhinoplasty there is significant swelling that takes several months to subside. Be patient.

+1

At 1 week post Rhinoplasty your nose is surely swollen from the surgery and it's way too soon to be making any judgement about the aesthetic result.  It's normal, for Rhinoplasty patients to worry if their nose is significantly swollen and the best thing for you to do at this point is to discuss your concerns with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  At the very least you'll have a clear understanding of what was done during your Rhinoplasty and why the nose is swollen.

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

The nose is typically the location which takes the longest for swelling to resolve. What you are describing is not uncommon. The benefit of a closed technique for Rhinoplasty, is that in most cases the swelling is less immediately post-op. A closed technique is one where no incisions are made on the outside of the nose. Access to the bone and cartilage of the nose is from within the nostrils. Good Luck.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Swelling 1 week Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

One week after a rhinoplasty is still VERY early and swelling is expected. Give yourself at least another 3 weeks, if things still look the same you may want to address it with your surgeon. However, at this point its all normal.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS