Will a Lollipop Lift Suffice in Conjunction with Implants? Which Size Range for Silicone Implants to Achieve Full C Cup? (photo)

38 yo, 5'2, 109#, mother of 2 breastfed children, last weaned 5 mos. ago. Currently 32A/B. Previously 34C. Pics taken with comb tucked under breast crease for reference of breast crease location. Noted asymmetry of size R>L. First consult thus far recommended full anchor lift. Is this really necessary? Would like least scarring, but will sacrifice for improved shape. Also tried on silicone implants and has difficulty gauging which ones would achieve a typical C cup fullness. Please advise?

Augmentation Mammoplasty

+2

I see many patients following pregnancy who are at a point where they could legitimately consider two options: augmentation alone, or augmentation plus mastopexy (breast lift). The advantage of augmentation alone is of course avoiding the incisions and resulting scars associated with mastopexy surgery, while the disadvantage is the fact that the breasts will not have the most youthful appearance possible - they will be very full in the lower pole and the nipple will appear somewhat low on the breast mound. And most patients will feel like they always require a bra regardless of choice of clothing.

The advantage of augmentation mastopexy is the fact that this operation produces a very youthful breast profile, restores most of the breast volume to a level above the inframammary fold (the crease below the breast), and allows most patients to go without a bra with certain clothing options if they so desire. The downside is the surgical scars resulting from skin removal, although proactive treatment of the scars postoperatively (laser treatments, topical agents, silicone gel products) usually results in very favorable and totally acceptable long-term scar appearance.

So it's really a matter of deciding which you prefer - the most youthful breast profile and the associated mastopexy scars (and the freedom of going without a bra), or a less youthful breast profile but without mastopexy scars. It is a decision that is completely up to each patient.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing and lift

+1

A lollipop lift will work with with your augmentation procedure.  As per sizing, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Will a Lollipop Lift Suffice in Conjunction with Implants?

+1

First in terms of size, concentrate on how the implants look rather than cup size. There is no definition of cup size that is universally accepted, and many patients have bras in several cup sizes that fit. Choose a size that looks good when you try on implants, and your surgeon will help choose an implants that will most closely meet that look.

Since the bottom of your areola is lower than the breast fold, I would recommend a lift. With implants and no lift, you may end up with the unattractive appearance of the breast draping off the implant. 

The type of lift would be determined on examination, and sometimes in the operating room after the implants are in place. I think a vertical, or lollipop lift would suffice, but if the areola is raised enough that there is too much breast skin underneath, a horizontal excision of the excess might be needed.

Thanks for your question and for the photos attached. All the best. 

A/B cup to full C with Breast Lift

+1

With your amount of breast tissue and chest wall width, I would recommend 400 ml high profile implant submuscular with circumareolar or anchor lift, realizing that the anchor lift will lift the breasts higher and make them tighter.

Mastopexy and augmentation

+1

Based solely on your photos, it looks like you may be a good candidate for a lift and an augmentation.  I try to limit incisions as much as possible, and you might be a good candidate for a vertical lift.  As for the implant size, it is best to review this in person. Good luck.

Best Option for Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think you will benefit from a vertical mastopexy or a short  horizontal scar “anchor” mastopexy.

In regards to breast implant size/profile that will best achieve your goals, preoperative communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon  will be critical.   
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “very natural”  or “C cup fullness” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

By the way,  in my opinion, you are wise in  being willing to accept additional scars for an improved contour and longevity of operation.

Will a Lollipop Lift Suffice in Conjunction with Implants? Which Size Range for Silicone Implants to Achieve Full C Cup?

+1

If you have to have ONLY one operation use up to 400 cc UHP implants with a full lifting or anchor. If you are willing for 2 operations 3 months apart. I would do full anchor lift first than UHP implant at a desired range. 

"Lollipop" lift plus breast implants sufficient?

+1

Although a classical "anchor" lift is a reasonable option, it is not the only one.  There are several versions of the vertical lift (aka lollipop) which should work fine for you if it is done by an experience plastic surgeon. For one possible solution, feel free to visit my website and go the the structural mastopexy section in the breast portion of the website.  In terms of implant sizing it is increasingly difficult to find a common language in terms of cup size.  Some of the bra manufactures have upsized their bras for marketing purposes, so no one really knows what "C" or "D" means anymore.  My patients have found the anatomical breast sizers to be very helpful.  These are special shells that sit on top of the breast inside a stretch bra.  They do a much better job of simulating breast volume than the old method of placing regular breast implants inside the bra.  The patient typically finds a size that works for her, and it really isn't important what cup size this turns out to be.  If you think the breast is beautiful who cares whether one manufacturer calls it a "C" and another a "D"?

John Q. Cook, MD

Lollipop Mastopexy and Breast Augmentation to Treat Post Partum Involution

+1
Thanky you for an excellent question.  You are certainly a candidate for a vertical short scar breast lift in combination with breast augmentation.  This combination is quite effective for post-partum involution with mild to moderate ptosis.  While your first surgeon is correct that most of the skin excess is in the horizontal direction...prompting the recommendation for an anchor mastopexy, a vertical lift is also an option.  It is difficult to predict the size of the implant required to get to a c-cup withou physical examination, but I would recommend going with an implant that fits your base diameter.  This should work well and reduce your chances of a late problem such as wrinkling, palpability or implant malposition.  You should seek out someone with significant experience with the vertical mastopexy in combination with breast augmentation. Best of luck!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Uplift with Implants

+1

I believe that you will get your best result with a full uplift due to your degree of ptosis(droopiness), but the inframammary crease component can be short. I would use 325-375cc to achieve C-C+ size.  With your coloring, the scars often fade nicely with time.  Hope this helps.

Peter J. Simon, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon