1 Implant Needs Replacing, but Does Both Implants Have to Be Removed to Ensure Even Positioning? (photo)

My surgeon put in the wrong implant size in my right breast, so I am now a cup size bigger in the right breast than on the left (C cup left, D in right). He is being difficult and tells me there is nothing wrong! The right is fuller, and projects an inch more than the left. I am almost 3 months post op. This may sound silly, but will the right need removing too to ensure even positioning? Will I have loose skin on right. I want to go down by 30g silicone in right. Thank you in advance.

Breast Size Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation

+1

In a case wherein a plastic surgeon put in a much larger implant in one side with two equal size breasts preoperatively, the larger implant can be removed and replaced with a smaller implant.  Kenneth Hughes, MD  HughesPlasticSurgery Los Angeles, CA

Asymmetrical breasts post-op

+1

Hello.

Thank you for sharing your photo.

It is evident that you do exhibit a bold asymmetry where the left breast is smaller than the right one.

With that perspective, it may be for your best interest to replace both implants during revision and get the size of implants you desire in each breast.

However, it is important that you make sure to be on the same page with your surgeon as you will need to work as a team and the success of your upcoming results depend on how well you perform as a team.

I hope this helps and thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Implant asymmetry

+1

Yes, I see the asymmetry and it is a bit more than what is usually tolerated in terms of differences betweent he two breasts.  It is always nice to see the pre-op photos and know what was placed during the surgery.

1 Implant Needs Replacing, but Does Both Implants Have to Be Removed to Ensure Even Positioning?

+1

The answer the question, NO only replace the one implant. But over the internet very hard to give the exact response. Seek in person second opinions. 

Will both implants need to be exchanged or just one?

+1

Dear Diamondfudge,

I am sorry that you have been left uneven.  I would recommend that you just have one implant changed and keep the one that you are happy with.  Presumably you had some degree of asymmetry preoperatively and I always tell patients that there will probably always be some residual asymmetries, although the aim would be to make things more balanced.  Good luck with everything and I would hope that things could be made better by just changing the one side you are unhappy with.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Replacement

+1

you do have size discrepancy here. The real question is how much of a volume difference you had in your breasts before the augmentation. If you choose the silicone then different sizes need to be used and they will still never be the same only similar.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Do Both Implants Have to Be Removed

+1

The right side does look considerable larger. It would be helpful to know the implant sizes. 

A 30 cc reduction in size will not result in excess skin, but it will not noticeable change the apparent size of the breast. 30 cc is about 2 tablespoons of volume. If it is really a full cup size difference, the volume change will have to be closer to 200 cc, maybe more. You and your surgeon will need to decide which breast size is closest to your goal when it comes to planning your next surgery. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.