I just had about 1/4 of a molar crown break off this morning. I am 90% sure it is one I have had a root canal performed on?

The crown is now about 4 yrs old. The dentist who attached the crown told me there wasn't much real tooth left as I had absolutely huge amalgam fillings (since removed).The dentist told me my tooth could fracture; he had recommended extracting it even before the root canal job... but I wanted to 'save' the tooth. Now I have no insurance. I don't have noticeable sensitivity. How long can this wait? I realize decay may set in but does that matter if it'll need extraction anyway?

+2

If the tooth has had a root canal and you aren't having any sensitivity, then this is not an emergency situation. It could probably wait for several months. However, please note, the decay will no doubt continue and the more the tooth is decayed the less strong tooth structure will remain, making the eventual extraction more difficult. In the meantime, you're probably going to have bad breath from the bacteria in the broken tooth, and inflammation of your gums. So, the sooner you can get it out the better off you will be. Then you can wait for complete healing, which is usually 6-8 weeks, if you're going to get a substitute for the missing tooth...either a bridge or implant.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist