9 1/2 Weeks Post Op Tummy Tuck- Sneezed Caused Side Pain, Did I Damage Results?

I am 9 1/2 weeks post op full tummy tuck/muscle repair. So happy with my results at this point however I am unfortunately getting sick and I sneezed last night. After I had a pain/burn in my center left abdomen next to my belly button that radiated to the side. Oh it hurt but I didn't hear any pop. Everything looks ok, I am scared I hurt something internally. Every morning my body wants to stretch without my control and it hurt during that too,doesn't hurt walking around. What did I hurt?

Pain in tummy tuck after sneezing

the most likely cause for the pain is a small tear in some scar tissue and that will likely not affect the end result of your tummy tuck. A stitch breaking is less common. Due to the numerous stitches used, breaking one will also not affect the end result

6020 South Rainbow Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89118

Damaged Results of Tummy Tuck?

Generally, it would take significant pressure/strain to break a stitch used for abdominal wall muscle plication during tummy tuck surgery.   If this were the case for you you might experience pain,  a “popping” sound/sensation,  swelling etc.

Most surgeons use numerous sutures  and  possibly 2 layers to reapproximate the rectus muscles.   If this was the case for you,  then breaking a single stitch will likely be inconsequential.

I would suggest that you follow up with your plastic surgeon,  who after direct examination,  will be in a better position to address your concerns (and hopefully provide reassurance).

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Sneezing after a tummy tuck

It would be exceedingly rare to have any major problems caused that far out from a tummy tuck by a simple sneezing event.  At 6 weeks I let my tummy tuck patients return to full unrestricted activity even in a gym so I would be surprised if anything more than a sore muscle happened with your cold.  Ask your plastic surgeon for a muscle relaxant like flexeril, this may help if you having some muscle spasms.  Hope you get better soon. Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

7700 Cat Hollow Drive
Round Rock, TX 78681