Is 5 1/2 Weeks Too Early for Cc? What else Could It Be?

I've had 4 surgerys.1st an augmentation,the 2nd & 3rd due to cc in the left breast & the 4th surgery cc in the right breast.The 4th surgery was 5 1/2 weeks ago along with the removal of cc in the right i had a lift,stratice placed & smooth implants replaced,drains in both. right breast is soft as can be! left is hard,round,high, tingly on the armpit side when i wake up,& i dont have full movement in that arm hurts in muscle.too early for cc being only 5 weeks? i feel like it has no room 2 drop.

Consider Strattice To Treat Capsular Contracture Of Left Breast

+3

Thank you for your question. I am terribly sorry to hear the difficulties that you have been through. As others have suggested deciding to give up and not have breast implants is certainly an option.

However you state that stratus was placed on the right side and that that breast is perfectly soft and movable at the present time. If stratus was not used on the left side based on your experience, if you want to proceed and continue to have breast implants then removal of the capsule on the left and wrapping a new implant in stratus or AlloDerm would be her best option.

Recurrent capsular contracture

+2

Capsular contractures often occur early and you clearly have one. After four surgeries with the same complication you should ask yourself if breast implants are really the best solution to your aesthetic concerns. The risks of permanent deformity increase with every surgery. I would suggest that you consider removal of the implants altogether and be evaluated for some other modality such as breast lift or augmentation using fat injections.

Sorry, but someone has to say it!

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Capsular contracture of the breasts

+1

Capsular contracture may certainly be involved in the changes in your breast. I would advise early treatment to prevent longterm aesthetic changes.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

High riding implant

+1

Its possible but early. Potentially troubleshooting the reason for capsular contracture is a good start. Your question is very complicated.  Capsular contracture is not always preventable.  It can occur due to an infection, radiation, hematoma or just the way and individual heals.  Capsular contracture can be minimized from the surgeon's side by placing the implant underneath the muscle and/ or using a biologic mesh as a buffer between the skin and implant may help. This may be a prudent way to go given that placing the implant above the muscle is known to have a higher rate of capsular contracture. Some surgeons advocate breast massage as away to keep an implant mobile in a capsular pocket. Its effects on capsular contracture are debatable and unknown. The rate of return depends on the reason the capsular contraction first occurred.  Also, if the capsule was removed, scored or partially removed is also important to know to make a reasonable assessment. Truly because of the complexity, you should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable with complicated revisions of the breast.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Possible early capsular contracture

+1

It would be very early to have a recurrent capsular contracture at one month post capsulectomy.  It is possible that you have a small hematoma or collection of blood causing the early firmness.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best possible position to understand if this is another capsular contracture.  If it is a hematoma then it should be drained as soon as possible or it can lead to another capsular contracture.

Capsular contracture after five weeks

+1
It is possible for capsular contracture to occur that early following breast surgery or it could simply be some post surgical swelling. However, based on your history and the photos you submitted, you may be best off having the implants removed altogether. The photos seem to indicate that you have a reasonable amount of your own breast tissue and you could probably obtain a nice appearance to your breasts by surgery that does not involve implants. They may ultimately be slightly smaller than what you would ideally like but I think they would look fine and you could put all these troubles behind you and get on with your life quite nicely without the need for implants.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Repeated Capsular Contracture

+1
Capsular contracture is a complication of breast augmentation that is incompletely understood. The leading theory of the cause at this time is a low-grade infection but blood collections (hematoma) are also implicated as are silicone gel leaks. In most cases, the cause remains unknown. Whatever the cause some women are prone to recurrent capsular contractures and it sounds like you are one of them, and you appear to have one in your left breast now. Most likely you will continue to have this problem and you should consider permanent removal. As disappointing as that option sounds, it is better to keep having surgery and complications with the increasing risk of a permanent deformity as others have pointed out.

Joseph Fata, MD

The before pictures would help

+1
Capsular contracture is possible but it can be implant placement or uneven muscle release. You had more than usual corrective surgeries and it would recommend you consider bilateral implant removal. I have treated more 45 patients that have failed implants. I have removed the implants and done fat grafting. You can check my web site for examples. If you keep having problems with implants, you may consider alternative to the implants.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Is 5 1/2 weeks too early for a capsular contracutre

+1

5 1/2 weeks is not too early for a capsular contracture. I am unclear as to whether you had Strattice placed just in the left breast or both.  In any event, discuss this with your surgeon. If the implant is hard and high, chances are it is due to a capsular contracture.  If it is also larger, it is possible that you developed a hematoma after surgery, and this will almost invariably lead to a capsular contracture as well.

Robert M. Grenley, MD