3 1/2 Months Post Op - Still Some Bump-ish Swelling? (photo)

I thought my post at 2 1/2 Months PO would be my last, but I guess not. Anyways, I said before that my nose looked great when I press down on it. But otherwise, it's pretty much constantly 'swollen' and looks kind of bumpy. The only part that feels firm and like BONE is the very top. The rest feels really spongy when I press in. That makes me think that it'll get better, but I'm just so scared that it won't :\ Especially at 3 1/2 months. Is it possible for the swelling to go down at this point?

3 1/2 Months Post Op - Still Some Bump-ish Swelling

+1

You are still in the early post op phase when swelling will wax and wane.  the swelling associated with a rhinoplasty can take up to a year to settle down. It will feel strange when palpated at this time.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Swollen Nose 3 months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty swelling occurs both on the outside and inside of the nose. Patients are generally "restaurant ready" and socially acceptable within 2 weeks following surgery. Most swelling after rhinoplasty resolves within a month. The final 20% of swelling takes a much longer time to resolve, up to a year after surgery. Fortunately, this final swelling is usually only evident to the surgeon and patient.

Rhinoplasty swelling varies greatly and is largely based on the areas of the nose treated, surgical approach to the nose (open or closed/endonasal), skin thickness, postoperative care, and your healing ability. The more extensive the surgery, the more you will swell and the longer the swelling will last. The tip of the nose holds onto swelling longer than the other parts of the nose. Open rhinoplasty, where there is an external incision at the base of the nose, swells more and longer than closed/endonasal rhinoplasty. Patients with thicker skin will have more swelling.

Keeping your head elevated, maintaining the nasal splint/cast, ice, arnica montana, and following your plastic surgeon's guideline will help reduce rhinoplasty swelling. Persistant swelling may also be reduced by steroid treatment into the nose. Don't hesitate to speak to your plastic surgeon about any swelling. Hope this information helps, as 3 months is still early in the healing for many patients after rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Duration of swelling following rhinoplasty

+1

I tell all my patients to expect at least 12 months for all swelling to resolve from the soft tissues of the nose.  Particularly at the tip and mid portion of the dorsum I would expect you to have some swelling at 3.5 months which will continue to resolve.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling at 3.5 Months Postop Rhinoplasty

+1

At 3.5 months after rhinoplasty, the superior most aspect of the dorsum may be the only part of the dorsum that is relatively free of swelling.  The tip and supratip areas will take up to a year or more to completely resolve.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Edema may take up to a full year to resolve, especially in the tip

+1

Especially in the tip, edema and swelling tend to remain much longer than the rest of your nose.  Up to a full year your tip should soften and continue to get smaller.