4 1/2 months after a Lower Face Lift, I still have 2 large soft lumps on my neck just under the jawline. Is this swelling?

on my neck just under the jawline.  They are right on top of where the 2 major neck muscles are.  Also, right in the very same area I have two lumps on my law line that give me a jowly appearance.  Is this still post-op swelling or did my doctor not take enough fat out of these two areas?

Three Reasons for Lumps after a Lower Face or Neck Lift

+1
Residual lumps after a lower face lift or neck lift can be the result of;

1. Residual fat at the jawline which has not been lifted or removed.
  2. Residual swelling after surgery which can last for up to 6 months after surgery. This finding should slowly resolve from the time of surgery.
  3. Submandibular glands that are lumps they may become apparent after the removal of excess neck fat. They are usually  round and discrete rubbery lumps under the jawline. There is nothing that I advise to do about them because they are essential to making saliva.

Lumps/fullness persisting after a long period of 4.5mos

+1
Without pre and post pictures and knowledge of the nature and scope of the lift preformed, one has to deduce that submandibular glands could be prominent and showing - but this could be noted and discussed pre-op. Also it could be suturing and suspension that is creating unusual contours. Swelling  persisting from fluid collections could be a factor. A limited surgical procedure for the scope of your neck aging might not have adequately corrected the neck and jawline. At this point I would check with your surgeon and consideration treatment options including revision lifting later on or localized Ulthera to gain some improvement, as well as massage and a bit more time. 

Christopher S. Verbin, MD

Large lumps on the neck after lower facelift may be submaxillary glands

+1
Thank you for your question.  The most common cause of soft lumps beneath the jawline after lower face and neck lift are the presence of the submaxillary salivary glands.  Please see her plastic surgeon for an examination and diagnosis.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Lumps beneath jowls after Facelift procedure

+1
Need to know what procedure if any was performed on the neck as part of the facelift. Possible causes for the lumps are prolapsed submaxillary glands which have become more apparent-occurs as a result of displacement or cutting of the platysmal bands;residual fat and excess skin overlying the platysmal bands which have been pulled laterally with the neck lift;or residual swelling from liposuction which may take over 6 months to fully resolve.Hope you get a satisfactory explanation from your surgeon and that time and/or a revision procedure can help resolve this fairly common problem.

Leonard Miller, MD
Brookline Plastic Surgeon

4 1/2 Months Post Op Lower Facelift

+1
Would love to see before and after pictures.  It takes weeks to months for all the swelling to subside after surgery.  No one else will notice you have swelling, but you will feel it.  If you have excess fatty tissue at 1 year post op, your surgeon may want to do a minor revision.  He will need to make that decision.  Follow up with him on a regular basis so that he can monitor your healing.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD