Is 2 1/2 Hours Reasonable for MM- TT & BA and Lift?

I've meet with 6 PS's & for the same procedure I was quoted 2 1/2-5 hours! How can it vary so much. Price varied from 10k to 18k. Is 2 1/2 reasonable for a MM? I just don't understand how it can be 2 1/2 hours difference for the same thing. 3 quotes were 2 1/2 hours, 1 was 4 1/2 &the other 2 was 5! What's a reasonable time for a MM? Does 2 1/2 hours sound right? Should I assume that the PS who does it quicker is more experienced? Both PS pictures looked great! I've narrowed it down to these 2.

Beware Surgeons that Seem to take too long or not enough time...

+1

Hi there-

In my practice, we do 2-3 Mommy Makeover procedures every single week (and so we are efficient)- and I cannot imagine ever being able to deliver the safe, high quality results my patients are used to enjoying in 2.5 hours. I would be very wary of this surgeon.

Depending on the details of your procedures and goals, the procedure should take somewhere between 4.5 and 6 hours.

If it's going to take longer than 6 hours, I probably would not recommend you have it all done at once, as this increases your risks.

Web reference: http://www.MommyMakeoverOrlando.com

Speed demon versus careful surgeon

+1

I do a lot of mommy makeover procedures.  But I don't think the 2.5 hr time that you were quoted for a full tummy tuck, augmentation and lift is at all realistic.  Especially if you want the surgeon to do a careful, quality job.

5 hours is a much more realistic time quote.

+1

Different surgeons work at different speeds, some are faster than others.  I would say that a mini tummy tuck and a breast lift in 2 ½ hours is pretty fast.  I think the 4 hour time period is closer to it, but depending on how extensive the lift is and how much skin needs to be closed on the tummy tuck, it could be a little more.  I do not think that quicker is more experienced, no.

Mommy Make Over Procedure Time

+1

A mommy make over may have different treatment options for treating the breasts and the abdomen (or other body contouring areas).  A breast lift usually takes more time than an augmentation, and the combined surgery adds more time.  The abdomen can be treated by a tummy tuck, straight liposuction or a combination of the two.  It is important to compare the surgical plan for the plastic surgeon you decide to go with.   Beyond the speed of the surgeon, there are other factors that can shorten the procedure time.  For example, a barbed suture or dissolvable staples can shave 10-30 minutes off of sewing a tummy tuck incision depending the length and depth of the incision.  If one surgeon decides you don't need your muscles tightened and another decides you do, then this can easily add another 10-40 minutes depending on whether they interrupt sutures or run the sutures.  Remember faster is not always better.  My overall impression is that 2.5 hours is on the short side and may entail cutting several corners which often come with trade-offs.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Or time

+1

Two and one half hours is a bit unrealistic, unless you are having minimal correction. A tummytuck without muscle repair, a small lift, etc. For full procedures, I would not believe they could be accomplished with appropriate attention in this time frame.

Plastic Surgery time.

+1

Surgical operative time is  much less important than the careful attention that a surgeon offers this this assessing this in performing a given operation.  My operative time may be between 4 and 5 hours for performing this surgery.  Don't worry about the time required to do surgery.  A fast surgeon may be very good, but you need to use your judgement about this  Great results are what we all want for our patients.  Be concerned about the results, not the time to complete the surgery.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://w.w.w riegercosmeticsurgery.com

Mommy Makeover Surgery Time?

+1

No, shorter operative time does not mean more experienced.  I think 2.5 hours for the operations you mention may be too quick.   In my opinion,  attention to detail  requires time.

In my hands the operation you mentioned would take  3.5 to 4.5 hours depending on the patient and exactly what is done. 

There are so many more important criteria to consider;  time of surgery and costs should be at the bottom of the list.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

How much time does a mommy makeover take

+1

Surgical time, especially for a multiple procedure surgery such as a mommy makeover, will vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon. Do not equate a 'quick' plastic surgeon as a good surgeon and correspondingly, do not equate a 'slow' plastic surgeon as a bad plastic surgeon. There are many variables that affect surgical operating time, including but not limited to the surgeon. Generally, in my practice, a mommy make-over, which includes breast augmentation with a lift and a tummy tuck can run 4-5 hours. It will be important for you to factor in all aspects when choosing  a plastic surgeon,  not just operating time and cost. 

Web reference: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=www.gayosoplasticsurgery.com&gbv=2&oq=www.gayosoplasticsurgery.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=

Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Many surgeons operate at different speeds

+1

Many surgeons operate at different speeds. Typically, for a routine mommy makeover involving a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and small lift, it would take me about 3 hours including anesthesia time at the beginning and the end.  Quick does not always mean good but can be an indication that the surgeon is experienced, knows exactly the surgical plan, is facile in the operating room, and gets the job done in a timely fashion.  Focus on the results. Some surgeons may take longer but also may have equally good results.  If you are paying for surgery time by the hour, then obviously a slower surgeon is going to cost you more.  I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Time needed for a MM.

+1

Different surgeons take different amounts of time to do a given procedure.  The most important issue is your final result.  In general, around 4 hours would be the time needed for a single surgeon, working alone, to complete a standard TT and BA.  It may take shorter if there is an assistant or longer if the surgeries are straight forward.