I Went in to Have Belotero and the Doctor Suggested Botox Instead?

I have my Son's wedding in 7 wks. For months I investigated doctors & fillers & felt that Beletero would be good for me. When I saw the Dr she said I did not need Beletero & I only needed a soften of those areas. I felt comfortable w/ her & she injected a total of 6 doses in those areas. I am now so nervous because I came home & went on this site & started to read that Botox is not recommended for these areas & that I could look like I had a stroke and could even drool. Please help me feel better

+2

Assuming you've found a reputable, board-certified injector you should give the results time to be unveiled. Botox takes 3-5 days to be evident. It is not uncommon for patients seeking "Botox" or "filler" to be redirected to a more appropriate treatment option. Botox is highly effective for softening muscle movement while fillers provide volume and fill lines. They can be used alone or in combination. If you're not happy with your results in one week, return to your injector for further discussion and seek a second opinion if that discussion is not satisfactory. Assuming you've found an experienced injector, you are likely to be pleasantly surprised with the results of your treatment. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox instead of Belotero

+2

Based on your concern I am assuming you had the Botox injected somewhere around your mouth? While, yes, this is an off-label use of Botox, it is also good and extremely effective. It just has to be done on the right patient, by the right injector. Very low units need to be used (which it sounds like you had). Don't panic. Simply wait and see what happens. There is nothing to panic about now, and in reality, this could have been perfect for you. We deal with a lot of questions on here that are about people with problems - this absolutely does not mean that every person will have problems.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox vs. Belotero

+1

Hard to make a comment without photos or knowing where on the face we are talking about.  That said, Botox usually takes 4 days to start working, and 10 -14 days to see how things are settling in.  Botox is typically used to smooth wrinkles by stopping muscle movement underneath the wrinkle.  Belotero is a filler that fills in the wrinkle.  Each practitioner may have a different technique.  Best to tell your board certified injector your concerns. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Reassurance after Botox treatment

+1

You did your research and found a highly regarded doctor to treat you.  It's highly unlikely she would recommend a treatment she has not had excellent results with.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Filler v. Botox

+1

First, you haven't said which areas were injected.  Different cosmeceuticals are good for different problems and/or areas of the face.  Baletero is a thin facial filler, similar to Restylane, very good for fine line wrinkling (ie-for smokers' lip lines).  Botox does not soften.  It does take 3-5 days, on average, to work (Dysport, a similar product works faster but does not last as long, in my opinion).  If you are anxious about whether this was the treatment for you, give the doctor a call.  I hope that you saw a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist!  Congratulations on the wedding.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Botox and treatment around the mouth

+1

Waiting until your Botox is all set up will determine whether or not this area "worked" for you or not. If you trust your provider and their opinion and expertise-that's a good indication that things will work out for the best.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox vs. Belotero

+1

Thank you for the question. It seems that you were seeking some treatments for the area around the mouth.  While the injection of Botox in this area is "off-label" (not officially endorsed by the company, Allergan, or approved by the FDA), it is fairly common. Small doses can be used in the muscles around the mouth and chin area, and this can "soften" the lines in these areas. For deeper grooves and folds, a filler is a better choice.  In my practice, I will often combine these two treatments -- using a filler for the "marionette" folds and then tiny doses of Botox to soften the folds caused by the lower lip depressor muscles. 

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox or Belotero??

+1

Great question for discussion but wish you would have sent a photo showing where you were injected so that we could talk more about you. Botox is used to stop movement that causes wrinkles and can also be used to shrink muscles that are somewhat "overused". Belotero is used to fill wrinkles and to add volume. Many times these are used together for the optimal result. Example: I have lines around and above my lips. I used Dysport(or Botox) to relax the lines and use filler under them to push and pull them out. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

I advise grave care in getting services within 8 weeks of a wedding.

+1

That warning applies to brides and moms.

I agree that if we are talking about mouth issues, filler not botox is the treatment of choice. I think your injector is a bonehead.  Hopefully you will do fine this service.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  With 7 weeks to go, it you have an issue, it may or may not recover in time for the wedding.  Good luck.

Botox instead of Belotero

+1

Belotero is a dermal filling agent, so can help certain fine lines and to fill depressed areas on the face.  Botox is an agent that is used to treat lines or furrows that are caused by muscular action on the face.  I'm not sure which areas of your face were treated with Botox so I can't comment on whether it was appropriate or not.  The most common areas that are treated with Botox are the frown lines between the eyebrows, the horizontal lines across the forehead or the crow's feet.  There are other areas where it can be helpful as well though.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon