Does -0.50 Worth Touch Up Lasik?

got lasik seven days ago was about -5.75 sph and -0.75 cyl in each eye now after 7 days of surgery i still have blurring of vision i went today to my dr and checked my vision by his assistant my data was RT SPH +0.25 CYL -0.50 AXIS 37 LT SPH -0.50 CYL -0.50 AXIS 8 then his assistant tried some lens from lens box and it wasnt perfect but was better so i really need some advise does these data worth enhancement surgery

LASIK enhancement

+1

-0.50 can be corrected if it causes symptoms but it is too soon to consider enhancement for you. The measured prescription 7 days after the procedure is not accurate as there may still be corneal surface irregularities and focal corneal edema. I would wait at least 3 months and have consistent readings of -0.50 before considering another procedure.

New York Ophthalmologist

LASIK Enhancement

+1

Your vision and your glasses prescription can fluctuate significantly in the first days and weeks following LASIK surgery.  Edema and swelling as well as surface dryness and rearrangement of the cornea's epithelial layer and all lead to significant shifts during the early time period.

Follow the surgeon's instructions carefully regarding eye drop instillation, including artificial tears as well as the antibiotics and other medications.  Statistics show that vision continues to improve following LASIK surgery even as far as 1 year after the procedure.  The surgeon will likely wait at least 3 months following the surgery to decide if a touch-up might be warranted.

At this point, it is too early to tell what the end results might be.  A half diopter is relatively small but LASIK surgery, PRK, or some other iteration might be performed when warranted for small prescriptions such as this if they cause significant visual difficulties.  Be patient.  I'm confident that the surgeon will help you make the decision when the time arrives.

Jay Bansal, MD
San Francisco Ophthalmologist

Touch up after LASIK vs Lasek

+1

Look up my article recently. I suggest touching up w a Lasek on top of the prior LASIK because that's much safer so ok to do for minor residual errors 

emil Chynn MD FACS MBA

NYC

Emil Chynn, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

LASIK Enhancement

+1

A -0.50 diopter correction is commonly worth treating either as a primary procedure or as an enhancement procedure. If this prescription is found early after a procedure, I would not assume that the same correction will be needed once the eye heals completely. I generally do not perform enhancements until three months after the initial procedure to allow the eye to fully stabilize.

Mark Golden, MD
Chicago Ophthalmologist