Post to Forum

hi i had a tummy tuck done with musle repair on May 3 2012 i have alot of questions and if someone could give me feedback

• toycho
  • 1 year ago

if anyone could give me feedback who has had a tummy tuck it would b greatly appreciated i am a week post op im concerned becuz of swelling the day after surgery i was so excited i had a semi flat stomach but now it looks just a little smaller that what i had before being cut on. also this garment is driving me crzy and i wish i didn't have to wear it. i took it off yesterday for about 5 hours and showed up at my appt to get my last drain taken out and my dr was very angry i was not wearing it and walked out the room and said since i want to not wear it then don't be mad at the results and pretty much carry on and normally he would have told me to come back in 2 to 3 weeks then left me with the nurse to remove the drain i had it in my purse so the nurse helped me put it back on anyways i can't seem to find a comfortable sleep position while this garment is pinching the skin on my side and it use to hurt to cough or laugh but now today im coughing with no problem which leaves me worried i may have busted a stich i have ken doll syndrome really bad and im wondering when will it go away i love my belly button becuz i had a hernia as a child and before the tummy tuck i had the stitch scar where they had repaired it and now that along with my birth mark which i loved lol is gone but its worth it as long as my results leave me with a flat tummy which im hoping for. Does this sound normal to anyone and how long will this swelling last in my stomach and my pubic area before i see a flat tummy. Oh and when can i start scar therapy? and any other words and advice and feedback please thanks alot

Comments (8)

Ok thanks ill try that n ill go look now :)
I wear a cotton t shirt against my sking, then I put a huge surgical dressing on my tummy, then I put the binder on. The surgical dressing is 12 x 30 inches. It pads the entire front of my tummy and wraps around the sides some too. It is a lifesaver. You can see a picture of the package on my profile. I make sure it sticks out a little at the top and a little at the bottom when I put the inder on. It is so comfy I feel like I will have no problem wearing it for many weeks to come. Along with your doctor, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to wear it, or you will most likely have a poorer outcome thatn you otherwise would. Also, make sure you put the binder on so that it is not too tight or too loose and be sure the edges are set in the right place so it does not rub anymore than needed. It is also important to make sure it covers your incision, because that area needs the most support.
Thanks Pocahontas I tried the tshirt n the towel method still no bueno I think its my height n figure im going to buy a spanx today bcuz even the expand a boost thing didn't work
Toyco, you had major surgery and it will take time to heal. You have to be patient and listen to your PS. He was disappointed because you were not following his specific instructions. This is crucial to your well being and the healing process. Please contact the office, if he doesn't want to speak to you then speak to the nurse and voice your concerns with the professionals. The are the only people that can assist you with all of your concerns.
n]j

Thanks you guys for everything i still have not been wearing my binder its still uncomfortable so i bought one online it actually came yesterday such a waste of money i really do want the best results but i also don't want to be uncomfortable with the binder pinching my incision and skin no matter how much i adjust it. i still think he was wrong for walking out like that and not tryin to help and fix the problem showing some kind of concern or suggesting another type or some thing you know. my stomach is still swollen but it has been going down and its smaller in the morning one other dr says that theres no proof the binder does what everyone says it does and im not goin to wear something that hurts me all day and could possible give my incision an infection. I will prolly buy another garment and hopefully that one works. i have noticed since the surgery i lost weight so i guess it will be flatter once the swelling subsides ive been looking at youtube videos so maybe by aug i will have a flatter stomach. Thanks again for you support and comments.
You can try wearing a thin tank top under the binder , I did that for more comfort maybe your are putting the binder too tight....
sorry to hear that your PS walked off but let me tell you I would have done the same thing, you are taking a chance of not getting the results you should get , the PS does the surgery and we as patients HAVE to follow their treatment and orders in order to get the expected results,and if god forbid something happens to your incision then your PS will blame you for it since you are not following his advice, there is a reason for the garment which is to keep the swelling down yes is very umconfortable maybe you need a bigger size, I'm on my week 7 post op still swollen , still wearing my compression garment AND binder all beacuse I want my final results to be good, regarding the scar therapy you need to wait until your PS tells you to, don't mess with the incision leave it alone let it heal properly, i think by week 8 or 10 is when you can start putting mederma or whatever your doctor prefers to use...be patient and take it easy let your body heal and relax , you will see the results little by little this surgery you have to take it a day at the time....good luck!!! :)
Swelling can last a few months unfortunately but wearing the compression garment will help- and try to avoid eating too much salt. i'm now 9 weeks post op and the swelling is starting to subside. It's not advisable to start scar therapy until your wound is completely sealed. You really should be asking your plastic surgeon these questions and following his advice to the letter in order to maximise your results. I tried silicone sheeting for scar therapy at 6 weeks post op but ended up with a blister and got told off by my surgeon!!!!