Post to Forum

Can I have a tummy tuck at 220 pounds?

• afsi2010
  • Maryland
  • 4 years ago

I am 30 years old 220 pounds and 5'6" tall.can I have tummy tuck or no? so far I lost about 60 pounds.

View 17 doctor answers to Overweight and Considering a Tummy Tuck

Comments (6)

Hi. I'm 50 lbs away from my goal. I've decided to do it due to medical reason. I'm struggling to workout with extreme fat loose skin. I feel like I'm limiting my workout skills even though I workout 5-6x a week between 45-90 minutes. I has been working out for past three years now. I've lost 125 lbs altogether. I'm 200 now, but my tummy and breast are killing me badly. that is the reason why I'm having the procedure, which will help me feel confident in working out, being able to run without feeling the skin go up and down. I'm so done with it. so it depends. Oh yeah, my doctor said I'm tone, seems to be healthy enough to have this procedure done.
I agree with Sharon and would also support you and cheer you on during your weight loss. I have lost 70 pounds over the past several months and I know how important support is during this process. Glad to help you in any way possible.

I agree with everyone else. Unless 220lb is your "comfortable" weight (where you are honestly plateaued, even with a proper diet and exercise) then please wait. I don't personally think it's worth going through the surgery, only to potentially need it again when you lose more weight... to say nothing of the health complications that Lucy mentioned.

We can start up a diet thread to help support you as you get there. Let me know if you're interested. I'm on a weight loss journey myself so I'd be happy to "adopt" a weight loss buddy who holds me accountable, and vice versa. :) Good luck.

My doctor wanted me to be within 15-20 pounds of my goal weight.  And also wanted me to be in good physical condition.   You need good cardio and muscular strength for proper healing. 

Trust me you will recover much faster and safer if in good health.  I never would have ended up with the results I did if a doctor had done this procedure before I lost all my weight. 

Keep up the good work and you will get there.  Congratulations on the 60 pound weight loss...that is awesome and you should be proud of yourself. 
I would suggest running away from any doctor that agrees to do it for you at your current weight. There is no such thing as a quick fix. It is much safer to do it when you are at goal weight for a sustained period of time. It's not worth the risk of blood clots, poor wound healing, or death. I hope you choose the slower path. I bet you'll be much happier.

Most doctors advise waiting until you're close to your ideal weight (or as low as you're reasonably going to go) before getting a tummy tuck. The surgical risks are much lower if your weight is lower, and you're likely to be much happier with your results if you hold off. Imagine if you lost another 60 pounds after your tummy tuck and then had loose skin from that weight loss. It'd be better to get in shape now and only undergo surgery once.