7 Tips for Your First Shower After Tummy Tuck Surgery
Byon 07 Sep 2010
Part 1: 12 Things I Wish I Knew Before
Part 2: Feelings: Before and After
Part 3: Supplies You Will Need
Part 4: 7 Tips for Showering Post-Op
Part 5: Do's & Dont's After Surgery
Part 6: Funny Things Said During This Process
- Take a pain pill 30-60 minutes before the shower. This will help ease some of the pain.
- If you can sit while showering please do. A shower chair or something of that sort. It is hard to stand up when you are hunched over with the sore back etc.
- Wear that sexy elastic band I told you about for securing the drains. After my hubby put this on me the first time he stood back and said Whoa…SEXY! He was trying to cheer me up but all he did is make me laugh which put me in pain. He then bumped and tugged on one of my drains which hurt. He was a bit like a bull in a china shop with the shower care. He definitely was not use to caring for me in this manner. He did great and we made it through fine.
- Have someone there to help you get in and out of the shower and also dry you off. Ok my hubby’s face was priceless as he dried me off. He was so excited about the small flat tummy and the new and lifted Va Jay Jay. He had the look of a cat looking at a can of tuna! Big eyed and pretty happy. I quickly reminded him that the playground was closed for any recess for a while. He knew that but I just wanted to remind him. Poor man; he could dry it off after the shower and look at it but no recess on the playground.
- Don’t try to wash your hair while in the shower. It is not easy and seems to hurt for some reason. I had soap in my eyes, my back started to spasm and it was a disaster. Have someone help you wash your hair in the kitchen sink for the first week or so.
- Lotion up after the shower. It will make your skin feel amazing after all you have been through.
- Now this is the most important step….immediately following the shower go take a two hour nap. Seriously the shower feels great but it wears you out. Can’t explain it but trust me on this one.
I showered the day after surgery and it felt amazing. Don’t be afraid to do it but make sure you have help the first couple of times.