Post to Forum

Having smart lipo in 4/1/2011...how painful is the prep for the procedure.?

• Kona2004
  • Los gatos
  • 3 years ago

I am finally doing this after years of wanting this.. I am getting my inner/outer thighs and banana roll done.. I have done so much research that I feel I am as prepared as I can be... I haven't heard much about abort how someone feels during the actual procedure.. I was wondering how it feels during the initial prep? Do you feel a lot of pain when the dr. Inserts the canual for the numbing solution? I am doing a local with an IV.. The doctor I have chosen seems awesome! Has done thousands of these... I am nervous and excited at the same time.. Was wondering if anyone could give me some inside to my questions?

Comments (10)

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

This comment does not follow our Community Guidelines and/or Terms of Service. We reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.
Hi everyone, I'm going to make a reservation to get my inner knees and upper inner thighs done tomorrow. I'm so scared but really want this done, so my legs will be healed up by the summer. Can someone give me a number for pain (bw 1 and 10) for during and after the procedure? Just so I can psyche myself up. Also, were the inner thighs/knees super painful for anyone? Thanks so much for posting, its really helpful :)
hi i hade it done in Lincoln nebraska i live 2 hours away so i stayed in a hotel i am still swollen and browsed its bin exactly 1 week today i can see results already on my outer sides but not my inner thighs yet i still have the tumescent fluid so im still numb in some places but overall i am so happy i did it i could never were a dress because my outer thighs stuck out a lot and i always had to were high rise jeans because i have a bubble but so im hoping my close will fit me better my doc said i will need to buy new jeans but i don't think i will need to because my stomach and butt are the same size i just think my clothes will fit me better i had tunes of anxiety and would research it every day but surprisingly the night before i was ok till i had to change in the docs office but they gave me a pill to relax me and i was fine don't worry you will be fine as long as you picked a good doctor and you will have some discomfort for a day or tow but after that you can go about your day but don't over due it i wish you luck and if you need any support im online a few times a day keep me updated on your surgery there are not to many ppl who had the same procedure done
Hi there! well I did it! and it wasn't as bad as I thought! I can already see results.. I have had some bruising and iching.. and pain.. but just using tylenol.. I was up and doing things the next day..

I am swollen, but just a little concerned about my left thigh under my butt.. the banana roll.. it seems that its either fat there still or fluid.. I am hoping for the fluid! the right leg already looks amazing... I go to my post appt. friday.. so I will ask my dr. I know I need to be patient..

I have some reddness of the skin almost like skin irritation... maybe from the garment?

I am taking arnica from whole foods.. that seems to help the bruising and swelling... I am so far pleased !!! Hoping for even better results!
So glad you posted...I am having my abdomen and flanks done on the 16th (this saturday) and already the anxiety is kicking in. I am really suprised you havent taken anything for pain other than tylenol. Keep us updated about your left thigh!!
you will be fine! It's the unknown that I felt anxiety about.. I am still sore 10 days out.. I have found icing and tylenol when needed.. Even though they tell you not to ice.. I have found that it helps with pain and inflammation... It's the best thing I have done for myself.. I have a incredible PS.. I go again in a month for post-op appt... I can't wait to see what my results will look like then.. They told me to be patient.. I am riding the wave out!!! good luck and keep us posted on your recovery!!!:)
hi i just had the same procedure done 3/22/11 including my knees but i did not have an iv they give you a pill to relax you and calm you down then they took pics before they marked me then after i went in to the procedure room they covered me on my top half then they cleaned the area with iodine they gave me a shoot of iodine in the place were they were going to cut for incisions and then put the canual in and filed the area with tumescent fluid which i feel theses 2 steps you felt most discomfort/ pain it swells the area and numbs it you feel a lot of pressure during the laser and suction you can feel it but dose not hurt just weird you might feel a poke here and there. after they cleaned me and just put band aids i seen some post were they put dressings then the garment i personally don't mind the garment my doc said i should go out and about but it hurt to walk and i felt sick and light headed for 2 days i did through up 2 times after the procedure but got a shot the day after to stop it i was given tramadol but i felt no different so i called the nurse and she called in hydroco/vicoden for me it was a little better but not much it just makes you drowsy and itchy so i also took benadryl i drained till 3 am it was not to bad the next day for my fallow up the nurse put me in my stage 2 garment so i could wash stage 1 i didn't notice much bruising till day 3-4 its just tender but not bad just hurts when you first site or stand if you have any questions feel free to ask
Thank you so much for the reply... What state did you have the procedure done? Are you happy that you went through with it? Are you swollen? I guess I just have anxiety as any one would... Hop your recovery goes well..
sorry i said you felt pressure during the laser but its during the tumescent
Hi Aquafina,
That is a good description of the procedure. In my case, the doctor did not give me pain medication and only a low dose of tranquilizer. He did not wait until I got numb before puncturing my skin and I felt it all. He put a laughing gas mask on me and it didn't help. I asked for a pain pill and they didn't give me one during the procedure that really was excruciating. I was promised pain meds in my 2 consultations before the procedure and still never received them. 8 days out, I was up all night crying from the surgical pain and sent an email at 4:13 AM to my doctor asking that he please call my pharmacy to get me some prescription medication and he wrote back telling me to take Advil. I fired him for all the pain and suffering I have endured and went to another doctor for pain management. I am just over 2 weeks out now and the pain is still pretty severe, with hard spots and skin puckering. Had I found this forum and the honesty about the reality of it all before the procedure, I would not have done it. I paid $5000.00 and I am sorry to report that I was treated more inhumanely than a lab animal.
Thank you for your post, it does help to read about everyone's experience and i am reading a lot of posts where people did not get what they thought they were going to get or what they were TOLD they would get.