Post to Forum

November 2013 Tummy Tuckers Check In Here

• 8 months ago

Some additional information to get you started:

Tummy Tuck Survival: A Real Life Guide

Kimmer's Lists And Favorite Things

Comments (3,990)

Sort by

So, I had my appt with my PS last week to discuss my swelling/pain issues during running and after workouts. He said everything is healing normally and looks great. I can keep going the way I have been, but certainly to take an extra rest day after really strenuous running days when I feel wiped out. He said he could definitely tell I've been working out, which made me feel a lot better, and also said he didn't see any of the added pounds (5 or so) that I mentioned I've put on since the surgery, so maybe they are muscle or some swelling. He also looked at my lower abs/hip area where I've got these funny areas that stick out at the edge of the incision and said to come in when I'm ready to take a couple weeks of down time and he'll fix them (free). So good news all around!
Glad you got good news and you don't have to cut back on the exercise. So I guess the swelling and pain is a normal thing after working out?
If you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at my review update......feeling very blah right now and not seeing changes.....could use some insight or opinions. Thanks, ladies!
Any "fluffy" girls here? I'm wondering how your surgeon handled your muscle repair.. I just discovered that I have a 4-finger separation from my breastbone all the way down to my scar. When I asked him about it he just said that's not a scientific way to measure. I then asked him (stupidly, I should have left it an open question rather than give him a yes or no choice) if he had to leave space because of my visceral fat and he said yes. But I was a 5-6 finger gap prior to surgery. I'm a little devastated that I went through all of this to have it just corrected a small bit. Also, my surgeon did not mark me before surgery because 1) he was running late and 2) he said that since I was having a da Vinci hysterectomy at the same time, that surgeon would only wipe off all of his markings anyway. But I really feel cheated.. Not only do I still have this gap in my muscles, my hips look terrible. He said it's because it wasn't as noticeable when I was laying down on the table.. Hello! Doesn't that mean I should have been marked up while standing?! The hips always bothered me but the gap I only just noticed because I got sick with the flu and a sinus infection a month ago and the coughing from that was brutal - left me with a way swollen and sore belly and I thought I had undone my repair because of that and the 4 finger gap. He insists my stitches are fine, that I may have popped one or two but it wouldn't be noticeable because the rest of them are intact. I will try to post pics later, can't do it now because I'm at work.. But what do you ladies think? I like having a flatter belly but I don't look anything like I hoped I would.
Go to another PS for a second opinion and see what they say. This guy sounds too rushed and like he is pushing off answers.
How do you know you have that big of a gap? Did he say so? I can't imagine going through muscle repair and him leaving that much......I'm with Jennay, I would talk to another doctor to get another opinion.
Hey ladies....question for you about using compression at this point. I know my doctor specifically told me that compression would NOT help this far out, it was only for my comfort. Well, I've been experimenting.......whenever I start with the post exercise or afternoon swelling, I dig out my original, heavy duty surgical cg. I strap the bottom half of it really tight (b/c that is where my selling is--below the bb) and wear it for an hour or two. Well, I tell you what, it helps the swelling tremendously for hours after that. So my question is, do any of you guys know how and why this would work? At first I thought it's just squishing stuff down and it would very soon poof back out. lol. But the effect lasts hours. Maybe I'll call my doctor just to ask....I don't have another appointment till the end of May.......but wondered if you guys were still using compression.
Hi! I only throw on my post surgical heavy duty binder once in awhile when I am doing certain P90X workouts (because they still hurt to some degree and the binder makes me feel more secure). I'm anxious to hear what your surgeon says about it helping for hours after using it...
Amy it's funny you say that b/c the whole reason I got it out again was b/c I started a weight lifting program. It did make me feel more secure--it's really to bulky for aerobics, but it worked well for lifting. It was sort of by surprise I figured out that it was helping with the swelling. I noticed that I wasn't swelling as bad when I left it on for a awhile after I worked out. On Saturday I was having a pretty good swell day, then I cleaned house for a few hours for company. I put my jeans on to get ready and noticed swelling had kicked in. So I threw on my old cg for an hour until everybody came......and voila......swelling practically gone. By the END of the night it was back, but it had been hours and it was after dinner, etc. So I was VERY happy with that!
My PS is requiring me to wear mine for 6 months! 1 1/2 months to go!
Wow! That's the longest I have heard. How is your swelling?
I had stopped wearing it for 2 weeks thinking that my PS wouldn't notice during my 4 month checkup. He asked immediately if I was still wearing my garment. I came clean. I've found that I do swell more towards the end of the day when I do not wear my garment. I still have very pronounced swelling in my lower abdomen above my scar & in the oblique area.
I've noticed my swelling/pain seems to be in my upper abdomen mostly. And I have a weird blotchy skin patch to the left of my belly button. I'm going in tomorrow to see my surgeon and am anxious to hear what he has to say about all of this. Not anxious to be told to back off my running since my half marathon is less than a month away but I don't want to set myself back on my recovery after spending so much money and enduring all of the pain!
I've been putting mine on if I know I'll be working a long day. It really helps, but I'm tired of needing it!
Yeah, me too, Suz. But you know it has given me a bit of freedom mentally. I used to try not to work out early in the day b/c of swelling after. Or be "too" active if I knew I had something that night I wanted to wear something form fitting. Now I feel like I have another tool to take back a bit of control. lol. This week is pre period week, so we shall see.......I will report back on how this month went--having the cg to fall back on.
I haven't worn mine in 2 weeks. No compression of ANY kind. Even going to the gym now I only wear a tighter work out tank top (which I guess gives some hold but its nothing like compression and it was something I was wearing before just to keep the belly from flopping around). I DO still have a muffin top (little one) if I wear jeans that are more form fitting. I guess I will just live with that. It is NOTHING like what I have and I have pretty much comes to terms with it. I have zero idea why your compression seems to help, but if it does, keep using it!!
Hi guys- I did my 5 mo update- probably the last one until my 1 year mark, as I think everything is as healed and flat as it's gonna get. I wanted to thank you guys for all the help and support and laughs you gave me during the weeks prior and continuing after I got my surgery. This is a great forum with awesome ladies and I'm glad I got to know you as well as I did. I'm glad you continue to bolster and support one another with your issues. Best of luck to you all. -Dayna
Dayna, it's so good to see your happy review. I'm somewhat jealous of your already seeing the results you want, though! lol. Check in with us from time to time!
I will!
Nice review. I imagine we'll all be discussing how faded our scars have become by November!
I'm feeling somewhat relieved reading that I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. I got cleared to resume my running and weightlifting at my 6 week appt. My surgery was Nov. 14th. Full t/t, augmentation and lift. I'm training for half marathons (May 4th, June 1st) and had just run one on Oct. 28th so I was fully conditioned. However, it seems like the swelling has gotten continually worse as my training has progressed in intensity and mileage. I'm up to about 25 miles/week now, my previous mileage pre-surgery. I find my 2x/week of heavy lifting at the gym is often too much. I scheduled an appt with my ps next week to see what he thinks but I'm pretty sure he's going to tell me to slow down. I'm just frustrated because my race is a month away and I feel like I really can't slow down too much but I know I probably need to. Also, I've put on 5 lbs despite tracking all my calories since the first of January and eating a lot healthier than before the surgery! Even my weekly yoga leaves my abs sore for days.
Let me know what he says......I work out quite a lot, too. I am often tempted to cut down b/c of the swelling, but I don't. But you know......I swell when I vacuum so I don't know how much it matters. : /
I am a huge Pilates girl and when I do my Pilates for the ABs, I am quite sore and even puffy to some degree. I just do it twice a week now and pick a couple of my favorite moves instead of doing the entire DVD ☺
Did my five month review update.
SWELLING??? Ugh I am so sick of it. That little pouch below my belly but about my vaginal area! I swell no matter what I do. When does it end???? Also my hips have some dimples of skin where the scar ends. Honestly, I thought recovery at 4.5 months would be much better than it is. I am still sore, still numb, some areas still hurt to touch. Anyone else experiencing any of the things I am????