March 2014 Breast Reductions Check In Here

• 6 months ago

Comments (841)

Sort by

Well my experience with my reduction in the beginning was good. But now I am 5 weeks in to it am having a lot of openings and stitches coming through my incesion line under my breast. I went back to the PS 2 weeks ago with my concerns and to talk about my pain. He gave me betadyne and told me to put it on the holes and eventually it would dry them up. Well it's not and I still have leakage through the holes. Seems like new areas are coming through. I am concerned. I can't wear a support bra it irratates the area and rides up which cause extra pain and irritation. Is there anything else I can use on these places other than betadyne. My appointment is Friday. And I can hardly wait. I am still swollen and I am concerned that something more is going on. Any thoughts or has anyone else had this problem.
You can have leakage of fluid for quite a while, this is fat necrosis, dead fat cells finding a way out of your body. Are you 5 weeks (as stated) or 5 months? At 5 weeks spitting stitches would be quite common. If your bra is not fitting well and moving over your breasts the friction could be causing further problems. Are you able to air your breasts a bit each day to help dry everything out?
Thank you for the info. Yes I am 5 weeks since my surgery. But this is very painful. I told my husband this is worse than the surgery. Very painful in that whole area. Bad when you have to take a pain pill. But hopfully I will get some other meds to help with my holes and stitches. Fingers crossed :)
My experience was quite different, some discomfort at the very start, and I did take pain pills to sleep the first week, but that passed quickly. I would certainly advise the doctor five weeks along. I will be six months on September 18, 2014, and it has gotten that I have forgotten what I used to look like! The scars are so faded, I need to look for them, and I am in my 60s! Please see your doctor about the on-going pain, you may need more support as you heal. Remember to be patient with yourself, pamper yourself at this time, you will be soon look and feel terrific. Stay well, Ketch
Get the marena bra with a 2 inch band and it won't ride up. I hope your PS is board certified. This does not sound right. Keep at him. Did he put you on anti-biotics?
Thank you I will try this bra. Yes my PS is board certified and I did a lot of research before my surgery. I go back tomarrow and we shall see what he has to say. I will let you guys know what he says. Just need this pain and openings to stop.
Good luck and bring a list of all your questions and concerns or what you read here. This way there is no questions later. Let us know and good luck.
Does anyone still have the sunburned feeling on your chest? About how long did it take to go away?
Can anyone tell me when they were released to lift over five pounds? Thanks!!
I had my surgery on March 18. I didn't get released to lift 5 lbs until I was close to 8 weeks post op.
Hi everyone, I will be at 12 weeks post op this coming Friday. I have a question for those around the same stage of recovery. Do any of you feel that your scars hurt sometimes? I am using silicone sheets shaped like the lollipop incision and sometimes a use a silicone gel. The scars are not as bright red as at 6 to 8 weeks but at times they seem to ache. Just curious if this is common at this point in the game. Thanks
That is definitely normal. My incisions are sometimes tender at times. Especially around the areolas. They sometimes look more raised and are tender. I am almost 6 months post-op. Will start using the silicone strips again to see if that helps.
Yes my incisions around my areola are still a little sore. I will be 12 weeks tomorrow.
I am in my 60's and on the 18th it will be three months since my reduction surgery. Quite honestly, I've forgotten what I used to look like! How I look now seems completely right to me. Yes, the scars are somewhat visible running down the bottom of the breasts is a very fine pink line (the suturing remnants around the areolas is history - they look completely normal). I had incisions also at the base of the breast and they are practically invisible. Both breasts feel natural now too, that odd hardness has abated. I am very, very happy I did this, the neck pain is completely gone. I use Mederma Advanced once daily (had tried another more expensive scar ointment that my dermatologist recommended and think Mederma's consistency lends itself to better and proper application). My Plastic Surgeon stressed that the Mederma (or Vitamin E) should be messaged into the scar, so take a few minutes when applying to work it in properly. Again, BEST thing I ever did!
I get that also. It's a kind of ache and sometimes it hurts but briefly. Little zingers. I am still using the silicone gel.
Hi ladies. Hope everyone is doing well. I have but doing great and have been healing well I think. Incisions getting less pink all the time. I did have a scar revision done today to my side incisions and I am quite happy I did. I anticipate that my incisions will now look great, along with my size and shape. I posted an update with details...just in case anyone else is thinking about the same I can already tell it was well worth it.
I am not quite two months (May 18 will be two months) and its like they were ALWAYS like this. The marks running down from the nipple area are like fine pink lines, barely apparent, the scars in the crease below the breast is pretty invisible. The scars under the breast (in the crease area) do extend a smidge, and I notice there is still a little puffiness there ???? but the scar itself is pink and fine lined. I go back on June 16. Some days they still feel a little "foreign" as there is an over firmness to them, other days not at all. Sensation in the nipples is returning to normal (for a time they were super sensitive) now not reacting to even the brush of fabric. BEST THING I EVER DID! Also, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ALL, CURRENT MOMs OR EVENTUALLY MOMS!! God Bless You. Best, Ketch
what a great result
agreed. some people may need to choose between size and nipple treatment ie if you really want to avoid the FNG you may have to have a smaller reduction
I spoke with my PS about this since I went from. 38J to a 38DD! He removed 3lbs from each one. He said he did one FNG 18 years ago and he hasn't done one since. I am not very well versed in all this but maybe looking for a surgeon who avoids FNG's might be an option as well.
Just prior to my own surgery, seeking to talk to someone older who had BR, I did meet a lady online. She suffered necrosis in one nipple, and chose to have the other replaced too. It was sobering. I spoke to my PS who said this was very rare, but it can and does happen. He asked if she was a smoker or diabetic, I didn't know, and it turned out she was a pack-a-day smoker. Not sure if this was a factor or not. One thing she did convey, she had undergone a sizable reduction, and despite the significant setback, remains exceedingly happy with her life post-surgery appearence. I think first and foremost, a woman told she must undergo FNG, should try to find out if it is at all possible to circumvent this. But, if it turns out this is just not viable, the results will STILL be better than not having the breast reduction in the first place. Also, I work with a woman who had reconstructive surgery after cancer took both breasts, and six years later, says she is happy to be alive and looking gorgeous! She is gorgeous too, inside and out (o:
Thank you! I had my pre-op today and he said he will try and save my nipples. He recommended the FNG b/c there is a distance of 39 cm from my neck and more than 36 is "gray area". He said he would plan to not remove tham, but there is a chance he will during surgery. I got emotional and started crying. I didnt expect it. I didnt purposefully cry, but I think he could see my deep concern for trying to preserve nipple life. With that said, I will be happy with smaller breasts, fng or not, and appreciate so much all of the support I have found on this site. May 15th it is!!
Thanks! I went today for my pre-op, ready to get a second opinion if he still wanted to perform the fng. He said he would not remove them, unless he found a very good reason why he should during the surgery itself. He said that would most likely not happen though so for right now I am scheduled May 15 for my br with NO fng :). I hope he can follow through with this plan. I started crying asking him what the chances would be he would have to remove them on the operating table and he said not likely. I'm happy about this, very happy.
I hope all works out for you and you don't have to FNG. Glad you had that conversation with your PS ahead of time. My PS didn't me my measurements, but I did have a very large reduction. Went from measuring as 36/38K to DD. I lost 6 inches around my bust measurement. I will be sending positive thoughts your way.
I am SO glad you spoke to your doctor about this. Really great news!