Q&A of the Day: Should I Wax Before Laser Hair Removal?
Will-Lee on 29 Jun 2009 at 4:45pm
In our Q&A of the Day, Toronto-based RealSelfer M.J. wants to know
Is it a good idea to get a wax treatment before laser hair removal?
Says M.J., "I went to a clinic where they say do this as the hair follicle is open and more receptive to the laser."
- Dr. Gregory Turowski in Chicago tells M.J. waxing is definitely off: "When you wax, you remove the follicle or the root of the hair and leave no target for the laser to attract." Dr. Turowski recommends waiting 4-6 weeks on the face and 8-10 weeks for the body after waxing.
- Likewise, L.A. plastic surgeon Raffy Karamanoukian, MD says waxing can remove hair follicles, which makes the lasering less effective. And Dr. D.J. Verret of Dallas tells M.J. he's concerned about the redness from waxing, which might interfere with laser transmissions.
Have you waxed on pre-laser and gotten good results? Let us know.
More on RealSelf
- Everything you need to know about laser hair removal treatments.
- Can I shave before my IPL hair removal?
- The eternal question: To wax or to shave?