The Recovery for a Brazilian Butt Lift
Article by Wilberto Cortes, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
Brazilian butt lift recovery
Written by Wilberto Cortes
The recovery period for a Brazilian butt lift is about 10-14 days. I typically keep the patient overnight for observation. There is a lot of fluid shift from the liposuction performed and the fluid injected prior to surgery. In addition, if properly done, this is a surgery that takes between 4-6 hrs depending on the projection of the butt that the patient wants.
1. Do not seat for about 2 weeks. This is very important because prolonged sitting will damage the fat. The fat behaves as a graft (no blood supply) during the first few weeks. Once the fat develops its own blood supply, then, sitting will be recommended.
2. Walk and stretch your legs. You need to move, move, move… This will help decrease the risk of developing clots.
3. Take ibuprofen 400mg by mouth every 6 hrs around the clock.
4. Do buttock stretching exercises. This will help you recover faster.
5. Wear your girdle at all times. You can remove it to take a shower; then, wear the girdle again.
6. Record the drain output. You will have a drain on your lower back to remove all the fluid that is accumulated. This will give better results.
7. After 2 weeks of sitting, use a cigar shape cushion when sitting. This will bump your buttock and avoid excessive pressure.
8. From the first day after surgery, take water pills for three consecutive days. Your body will be swollen all over because of the fluid shift. This will help getting rid of your swelling.
9. Wear a compression stocking net the first day after surgery to help prevent clots.
10. Drink plenty of fluid; do not get dehydrated.
11. Take clyndamycin for 7 days. This will help decrease the chances of infections.