6 Things You Should Know About Hair Removal Laser
Article by Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
Yes! Laser hair removal is great, but it's not a "one-and-done" treatment. Here are 6 things you should know before getting laser hair removal:
1. It may take 5-7 treatments to remove most of the hair.
2. Treatment with a hair removal laser results in a reduction of the hair follicles, but it may not completely remove all of the hair. This is due to the fact that hair follicles go through growth cycles, and they may not be growing at every hair treatment. In fact, hair follicles may arise in treated areas up to a year later. Check with your Baltimore plastic surgery specialist to see what the charges are in case this happens.
3. Many areas can be treated. The main areas that you can treat include the face, armpits, forearms, bikini lines, and back. Many Baltimore tummy tuck experts utilize laser hair removal around the bikini lines to enhance the results of a tummy tuck.
4. Men and women can both be treated.
5. The cost is very reasonable. Discounts are usually applied when you purchase a package instead of individual treatments. Baltimore plastic surgery experts frequently offer discounts when you combine plastic surgery with laser hair removal. For example, if you're considering a facelift and you have some excess facial hair, ask if your plastic surgeon will add complimentary laser hair removal to enhance your overall results.
6. Look at the qualifications of the person performing your laser hair removal. Complications such as redness, infection, and pain can occur, so make sure you will be taken care of in case anything happens. Baltimore plastic surgeons frequently perform their own laser treatments.
All in all, laser hair removal should be a smooth process for you, not a "hairy" one!