Adult Acne - Suffer No More!
Article by Lisa Benest, MD
Once considered a teenage right of passage, today many people suffer from adult acne. If you have this potentially embarrassing, but very manageable condition, you should know the possible causes for your acne and, more importantly, what treatments are now available to you.
The first step in the treatment of adult acne – or simply to have a youthful, healthy complexion - is to implement the following as part of your overall health and fitness regimen:
● Cleanse twice daily: washing more frequently can trigger an over-production of oil.
● Maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet and drink plenty of water between meals.
● Eat organic whenever possible: your body does not need the extra hormones and antibiotics found in typical meats, chicken or even farm-raised fish.
● Refrain from touching, picking, rubbing and squeezing pimples or break-out areas.
● Take care to keep hair sprays and gels on your hair but off your face.
● Use a moisturizer if you need one. You don’t have to dry out your skin to treat acne.
● Try an over-the-counter homeopathic remedy.
If these basic steps do not resolve your acne, you should contact your dermatologist to discuss other treatment options such as fruit acid peels or light-based (laser) treatments. Your dermatologist may go over some of the common conditions that can result in adult acne to help determine the best treatment approach for you.