How should I choose my surgeon?
Article by Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon
It is very important to chose a surgeon and doctor whom you can trust. Make sure they are well qualified as well. Here are a few sample questions to ask when looking for a plastic surgeon:
- Have you successfully passed rigorous written and oral examinations administered by the American Board of Plastic surgery or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada?
- Are you board-certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada?
- Have you completed at least five years of surgical training following medical school with a minimum of two years of plastic surgery residency training?
- Have you completed post medical training, including patient safety training each year? Have you preformed surgery in accredited, state-licensed, or Medicare-certified surgical facilities?
- Do you follow a strict code of ethics?