Facial plastic surgery is the umbrella term that includes any cosmetic or reconstructive surgical procedure involving the head or neck. Nose jobs, facelifts, and chin implants are all examples of facial plastic surgery.
Facial plastic surgery encompasses cosmetic and reconstructive surgical procedures of the head and neck. Facial plastic surgeons are well-versed in facial anatomy and the techniques involved in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the face, which is a core component of the background training for this medical specialty. Facial plastic surgeons' primary area of expertise is performing surgical procedures from the neck up.
Facial plastic surgery procedures
- Rhinoplasty (nose job) - Rhinoplasty is a nose surgery procedure that aims to reshape the nose in order to improve its aesthetic appearance and sometimes improve nose functionality.
- Revision rhinoplasty - When a patient has already had a rhinoplasty but requires additional surgery to achieve desired results or correct a mistake made during their initial rhinoplasty, a revision rhinoplasty is performed.
- Facelift - The facelift procedure is designed to lift and tighten the tissues of the face that have fallen over time. Many variations of the facelift exist, including the SMAS facelift, deep plane facelift, and mini lift, and most doctors typically customize each facelift to meet the needs of their patient.
- Neck lift - For patients suffering from turkey neck, a neck lift may be performed to remove excess, sagging skin.
- Ear surgery (otoplasty) - Otoplasty ear surgery is a procedure that corrects overly large or protruding ears and is sometimes referred to as "ear pinning."
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) - Eyelid surgery is designed to correct excess, drooping skin and fatty tissue that surrounds the eyes.
- Submental liposuction - Submental liposuction, or neck and chin liposuction, is performed to eradicate excess fat in the lower half of the face.
- Chin augmentation - Chin augmentation or enlargement may be achieved using a chin implant or through chin surgery called genioplasty. Chin augmentation is designed to increase the prominence of the chin in order to balance out the features of a person's face.
- Cheek augmentation - Cheek augmentation or enhancement is performed to restore a plump, youthful look to the cheeks and sometimes to create a smoother transition from the under-eye area to the cheeks, which diminishes dark circles and eye bags